Re: Plder Lifelike to DCC

Scott H. Haycock

Mike,
I suspect that the upper, 3 lead bulb(white, blue, and red wires) is a Mars light. This bulb would brighten and dim and would be controlled by the DC circuit board. While you could plug a decoder into the circuit board, I would remove it and replace it with a decoder designed to fit the same space. Several manufacturers make decoders designed to do just this. You may have to replace the bulbs, depending on the decoder, But with the 3 wire bulb, you would only need the white and blue wires, as the Mars lighting effect would be controlled by the decoder.

The wiring color code is a NMRA standard, so hooking up the wires from the trucks, motor, and lights should be straight forward. The upper, Mars light would be wired to a accessory function, like and programmed with CVs to simulate the effect.

As has been mentioned, knowing what decoder you want to use will allow for a more precise answer.

O.K., Now I am puzzeled. There are two headlights, an upper and a lower headlight. The lower is no problem - two leads. However, the upper headlight has three leads coming out of it. They went all the way back to the circuit board, which I have removed. I removed most of the components on the top of the circuit board before I discovered the three lead headlight. Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring? I can make guesses as to what it was for, but I would like to have some idea for sure before I proceed.

I measured between the three leads in all the combinations and came out that between any two leads, with any polarity there is about 35 ohms, cold.

Thanks,

Mike G.

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote:

I was comparing my engine to the example on the website. Mine has a newer(?) circuit board in it, or at least it has a few more components on it. The loco itself has two headlights, so there a set of 3 white wires (one per headlight, and a common).

There are still two screws that hold the circuit board in place, but one of them also holds what I believe to be a voltage regulator, in place as well.

(picture available if requested)

I just want verification, that if I use a different decoder from TCS that the same wiring for the decoder plug is valid.

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote:

Mike,

Does this example from the TCS web site help you?

http://tinyurl.com/njxzpt6

Ross