Re: Athearn PA to DCC

Kurt Konrath

Make sure you rework the bottom motor strip. Need to flatten or remove tabs designed to contact frame. Then put insulation tape down just to be sure the bottom strip is isolated and connect you second motor lead to the bottom contact strip

Good luck

Kurt K
Training in Oklahoma
On Sep 1, 2013, at 3:11 AM, <azMikeG@...> wrote:

I am in the process of converting an older Athearn PA to DCC.
The right wheels of both trucks pick up the hot side with an angle bracket that slides over the metal piece that goes from front to back and provides the voltage for the single headlight as well as the motor. The left wheels are all connected to the frame. The motor does appear to be isolated from the frame, by both visually and electrical ohms check. I want to install a DCC decoder, probably a TCS-1. I plan to remove the top strap, solder wires to the two pickups and connect them both to the input voltage point for the decoder, screw a small terminal lug to the frame and connect the other input wire for the decoder to it. Then connect the motor, by soldering wires to the flat contact strips, replacing the bulb with a LED and resistor. Then I should be good to go.

Comments or thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike G.