Re: Athearn PA to DCC

Ross Kudlick

Mike,

The bottom motor brush IS NOT electrically isolated from track power!

The left side wheels transmit track power to the frame which then is
transmitted to the bottom motor brush through some contact "tangs" in the
bottom bush retainer strap. This is directly under the center of the motor
where it is difficult to see, or get to with your meter.

The TCS web site has pictures of a T1 installation in an Athearn blue box
PA1 here:
http://tinyurl.com/AthearnPA1

If you Google "Athearn dcc conversion" you will find several "How to"
articles and videos on installing a decoder in the Athearn blue box
locomotives. I particularly like Brian Arnold's here:
http://tinyurl.com/BrianArnold

The Athearn blue box locomotives are easy conversions and highlight the
basic requirement that you need to "Isolate the motor brushes from track
power."

I usually "swap" the top and bottom brush retainer straps; this puts the one
with the "tangs" on the top; and place apiece of electrical tape under the
motor for insurance.

HTH

Ross Kudlick