Re: Something a Little Different

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

The simple answer is No as the DCC auto-reversers operate from the fixed DCC voltage and short circuit amps of the track bus. The typical adjustable DC supply for the trolley won't work.

If you are talking about a single main track with a balloon loop at each end, then yes it is the main line and the turnouts at each end that need to reverse in polarity to have a DC trolley run the other direction. An opto-detector at each end and a latching relay can be used to change the track polarity and flip the turnouts just as the trolley approaches the exit end of the constant polarity loops. Need a 4PDT relay or 2 relays... one to control main track direction, the second to throw both turnout motors so that the trolley always enters and exits the end loops in the same direction. There are other gadgets you can purchase to do just that. Google it to see what is out there.

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Glenn
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:54 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Something a Little Different

This is probably way off the DCC topic.

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R

Glenn