From: "Vollrath, Don" <dvollrath@...>
To: "WiringForDCC@..." <WiringForDCC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:45 AM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Yard Wiring

I looked at the posted sketch. There are no reversing sections. There is no real need for any electrical gaps in the rails. You can simply leave all the yard tracks powered.
BUT if the turnouts you plan to use are the live-frog, power routing type... at a minimum you will need to insulate each of the diverging frog rails at every turnout. Then, no matter how the turnouts are managed, or thrown at either end there will be no shorts.
This also means that every yard track and turnout needs its own feeder connections. Do yourself a favor and look through and understand the information at http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm, then select what brand and type of turnout you want to use and stick with the same kind of turnout at both ends of the yard. You don't necessarily need to modify the turnouts to make them totally DCC friendly just to get it to work, but doing so will help operating reliability in the long run.