From: "Doug Stuard" <dstuard@...>
Sender: WiringForDCC@...
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:01:55
To: <WiringForDCC@...>
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Re: Room Wiring

As voltage is stepped up, Amps are stepped down, but Watts (Volts x Amps) are basically constant.

Assuming your DCC track voltage (for N scale) is roughly 12 Volts, total power that can be delivered from 4 7 Amp boosters would be 4 x 12 x 7 = 336 watts. At 120 VAC from the wall outlet, this translate to 336/120 = 2.8 Amps, well within the capacity of the typical 15 Amp house circuit. Save the electrician bill and buy more trains!

(Note that the 336 Watt figure would be absolute peak maximum, all boosters running at max load simultaneously - an unlikely event. The average load would more likely be in the 150 Watts or less range...allowing you to buy even more trains!).

Doug Stuard

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Paul <summermanva@...> wrote:

Dave,

If you are uncomfortable wiring a new circuit in your electric  box, then you should hire an electrician. In addition to your own safety, if not done properly bad wiring could result in a fire. If it doesn't meet code, the insurance company could deny a claim.

Paul

Live Simply, Laugh Often