Power Supply Question

John Bishop

Hi guys,

I have installed decoders in some of my O scale engines to run on a friend's DCC layout.

My own layout will eventually be DCC, but I'm not there yet, and it is now powered by a homemade power supply consisting of a Variac, together with twin transformers and rectifiers. At one time I had a couple of large can condensers in the circuit, but they are now disconnected.

A couple of the decoders have failed operating on my layout, and a friend suggested that DCC decoders might be destroyed by use with unfiltered DC, that I should reconnect the condensers.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

John Bishop