LED and capacitor circuit.

thomasmclae

All,
Some friends of mine have started using LEDs connected directly to the track. (With proper resistors, of course).
This works OK, except for the flickering due to dirty track, etc.
I have several capacitors left over from an old project, so I would like to use these to smooth out the flickers.

Following are the questions I have:
1. With an LED in the circuit, do I need a diode? I am told that the LED is a diode, so another one is not needed.

2. If I add a Cap, is it inline with the LED or across the leads? (Serial or parallel)

3. What polarity?

4. What size Caps do I need?

Just starting to plan for this, so any information is welcome. (Like, what questions did I miss?)

Thomas