Re: DCC System Recommendations

dcesharkman

Chip,

The number of slots used are a function of how the locomotives are consisted.

For example, simple consisting is where all of the units in the consist have the
same address.  This would take up one slot.

For Advanced Consisting, or Decoder Assisted Consisting, all of the locomotives
are slaved to a virtual two byte address. (0-127).  If there is 1 or 100 units
in the advanced consist, this takes up only 1 slot.

For Universal or Controller based consisting, the Super Chief handles the
consisting and uses one slot for each member of the consist. So a 10 locomotive
lashup would use at least 10 slots.

Digitrax has an address range of 9983 I think for locomotives.  It is a little
less than 9999, I know that for sure. But that does not mean it can control any
more than the number of open slots.

As for the locomotives parked in the yard etc, do not use any slots if they have
never been accessed by a throttle. For example, if I place a locomotive in a
fueling platform by palcing it there by hand, it never gets a slot allocated
until I select its address to issue it a command. Once I select the address a
slot is consumed.

As far as the permanentcy of the consist, simple and advanced stay cosisted
untill you place them on a programing track and change them.

Universal consists last until they are cleared from the controller. If you were
to take those locomotives to another layout with a different controller, they
would not be consisted. It is the use of the universal consists, and not
properly dispatching them that holds the used slots. At some point you will see
a message "slot max" which means all 120 slots are taken. Unless some of the
addresses are purged, no new locomotives will be able to be used.

I hope this clears things up for you!

David