Re: DCC System Recommendations

dcesharkman

I have been a member of 2 NTrak clubs that used Digitrax Super Chiefs without
any issues on large layouts.

Where Digitrax excels is the use of LocoNet to have an alternate communication
network to the accessory devices like the stationary decoders and occupancy
detectors and signals. Depending on the complexity of the club layout, this can
be a great advantage especially if your club does nmore than just loop
activity.  LocoNet makes it easy to wire up a command bus as well as a separate
throttle bus.

This advantage is not available directly from NCE, but can be used with NCE by
using a few non-NCE products.

Depending on the size of the club, and how many locomotives will be operating
may be the ultimate determining factor. Digitrax can only control 120 slots for
locomotive addresses. Depending on how your club plans to handle consisting, you
may run out of space in a hurry. I do not have access or have ever used NCE so I
am not sure how many active addresses it can handle.

So the one of the real decision makers in the system will be the scalability to
handle the number of members and their locomotives.

David