Re: Bus wiring questions

Steve Haas

Bill,

<< 1. Do I need to do anything to the ends of each bus line other than cover
with some wire nuts? >>

That is normally more than sufficient. _IF_ you have mystery problems, you
might choose to add a filter/snubber at the end of the buses to
reduce/prevent "ringing". See the Wiring for DCC website (or other sources)
for one way of implementing this.

<< 2. I currently have a program track on the layout blocked with insulated
joiners and a toggle switch, can I just leave that incorporated with the
program part hooked to the zepher and then power leads will get hooked to
the bus? >>

There are several different ways to interpret what you describe. I'm not
sure exactly which interpretation is what you have, so I'll just make a
recommendation and you can go from there.

A good solution would be to use a double poll double throw center off
switch. Use this switch so that one side of the DP is connected to the
regular track power and the other side connected to the program track
outputs of you DCC system. Center outputs go to the programming track.
This way, there is no possibility of having both supplies routed to the
power track at the same time.

Many folks who use a spur or other section of track on the layout as a
programming track also completely insulate a section of track between the
program track and the rest of the layout. This section of track is powered
from the regular track power through a double poll switch. The switch is
used to kill track power to this section of track while the programming
track is in use. The idea here is that if the engine creeps while being
programmed on the programming track, it will creep onto the dead section of
track rather than bridging the gaps and connecting the program track
directly to the regular track power - generally considered not a good
outcome.

<< 3. I also twisted my wire all the way around, is this correct to do
according to my reading? >>

This is considered a best practice for new construction. There's no need to
go overboard here - the NCE manual suggests "about three turns per foot",
for runs "over 20 feet"; other sources suggest pretty much the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Steve Haas
Snoqualmie, WA