Re: Rail Gaps Point of clarification

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

If you refer to your 'type 1' as a "circle" of track, and your 'type 2' as a "reversing track or loop" (because the train literally turns around and comes back to it self on the same track) it makes a simple distinction.

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of thomas_applink@...
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:52 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Re: Rail Gaps Point of clarification

I am a little confused too. We need to clarify what we are talking about. There are two types of "loop".
1. Regular loop. Same as out-of-the box circle or loop. Train goes in one direction. There is an inside and outside rail. (Track looks like "O") 2. Reversing loop. Track loops back to switch, and merges to one track. 'Left' track can be followed around to become 'Right' track. (track looks like "P")

For type 1, the only reason not to connect the buss as a loop would be signal interference, as the signal follows the wire and meets at the far edge of the loop. For this reason, having the buss and track gaped at some point on the layout may eliminate some odd errors. If you have no problems, don't worry about it.

For type 2, you need to wire the same as you would for DC, but maybe using a DCC reversing module instead of a dpdt switch. Polarity rules still apply.
Thomas

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Harvey L. McRae" <hlmcrae@...> wrote:

Evidently you have not comprehended what I wrote. I'll persue this no further as it does not make sense to carry on this discussion.

Thanks.