From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On
Behalf Of Mike G
Sent: Friday, 14 May 2010 2:14 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Re: DCC Reversers

Now I am a bit more confused. If you are using a relay, if the turnout is
set one way and the polarity of the isolated section matches, the train runs
into it fine, then part way around you throw the turnout to allow the train
to continue back onto the main, the relay switches the polarity. Isn't this
switching polarity right under the engine? So why is this not a problem?

Mike G.

From: mammann@
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 17:50:43 +1000

Hi emrldsky

Auto Reversers work like this.

The Reversing Loop is ISOLATED from the Mainline with GAPS or Isolated
Joiners in BOTH rails at BOTH ends of the Loop.

The Input to the Auto Reverser is fed from the Booster. The Output
feeds
the
now isolated Loop.

The train is running down the Mainline towards the Loop with the
turnout
set
to the route that you want. As the loco/train negotiates the selected
route
and reaches the Gaps, if the polarity of the rails at the "other side
of
the
Gaps (the Loop), is opposite to that of the rails where the loco/train
is
coming from (Mainline), then there will be a Short Circuit. The Auto
Reverser senses this short circuit and changes the polarity of the
voltage
that it is feeding to the Reverse Loop. Now the short circuit is
condition
has been corrected. This happens so quickly, that the momentary loss
of
power was not noticed by the loco and the operator.

The same scenario happens when the loco/train exits the Reverse Loop,
as
above.

The hassle with Reverse Loops in DC has been eliminated in DCC with
Auto
Reversers. Sound and Non Sound locos just keep going as nothing at all
has
happened. The sound does not even hiccup.

Hope this helps

Regards
Marcus