Re: Problems with sound locos

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

Look at Tonys Trains PX series eliminate the start up problems. Bill 3

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, jhuntcctx <jhunt@...> wrote:

From: jhuntcctx <jhunt@...>
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Re: Problems with sound locos
To: WiringForDCC@...
Date: Thursday, April 1, 2010, 7:52 AM

This is something I will have to look into.

Thanks,

Jerry

--- In WiringForDCC@ yahoogroups. com, Mark Gurries <gurriesm@.. .> wrote:

Do you have Op-Switch 18 set to 1/2 second (closed)? If you set it to
the longer time period, it helps.

The problem is two-fold. 1) The DCS100 trips out much too fast on a
re-start.
Take your questions to the Digitraxx forum to find suggestions and
fixes. I'm
sure they have been through this before. 2) The sound decoders draw
extra peak
amperes when track power is first turned on...like when attempting to
recover
from a short. This happens expecially when you have added power
'carry-over'
capacitors to your locos if you haven't also installed the diode and
resistor trick
to eliminate the power on surge issue.

Setting the track voltage higher as you indicate below actually makes
the
problem worse, and is possibly detrimental to the life of your DCC
decoders.

Also knowing what scale you are running also makes a difference as
larger
scales draw more amps. Running or staging passenger trains with
incandescent
lamp lighted cars? Have you measured the current to your problem
tracks? I
have no issues by simultaneously running 4 or 5 powered locos with
sound on
my HO scale layout, with at least 12 others on powered staging tracks,
all from a
single 5 amp (NCE) booster.

I question also if the power supply for the DCS100 is adequate to power
the
DCS100 booster to its full power capacity. That too, can cause the
booster to
not gracefully restart.

Any chance of an auto-reversing control being part of the issue?
Sometimes they
don't like to recover if/when a loco is crossing the gaps on a booster
start-up.