the #6 turnouts of the crossover as especially realistic or graceful.
There is simply too much lateral bumping even when all wheels are "in spec."

Bill

On 3/29/10 12:25 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

Most modelers and clubs will not allow the use of double-slip
turnouts; probably mostly because of the problems just mentioned.
Heeding this misguided advice denies for the same layout modelers and
clubs the operational, spatial, prototypical and visual advantages
that these elegant turnouts can and do bestow. I have five Shinohara
#6 code 70s and one Railway-Engineering #8 code 83 double slip
turnouts in daily routine DCC operations on my DCC layout, and they
richly contribute the advantages just enumerated, not the least
freeing up considerable valuable space.

They are not without their problems, the principal one being the
intolerance of the low angle crossing frog inherent with these types
of turnouts to wheel sets that are out of gauge, have incorrect back-
to-back measurements, or truck wheel sets that are out of tram, or are
not in a linear line-up. Rather than punish the turnouts for these
problems, this problem has been a powerful goad to do what the modeler
should be doing anyway: the ensurance of the highest quality
trucks, wheel sets, and trackwork. On one Shinohara double slip, it
has been useful to cement in place some small additional guard rails-
a very minor job.

The bulk of my motive power is brass steam, and all that has been
converted to DCC also has had additional wiper pickups installed on
locomoitve and tender to pick up current from both rails. This
eliminates the potential problems of the short dead sections.

Wiring these turnouts is pretty simple: all rails north of the
imaginary longitudinal center line should be jumpered together; and
all rails south of the centerline ditto. Shinohara double slips from
the past ten years of so come already so internally wired/jumpered. I
have several older turnouts where such jumpers cannot be taken for
granted, and I have had to personally add these jumpers myself. One
feed to the north rail and one to the south: that is all that is needed.

The primary frogs are already isolated, but the respective north/
north and south/south frog rail pairs need to be respectively jumpered
(by the modeler!).

Interestingly, when these double slip turnouts were first imported by
Lambert in the '70s, the Model Railroader had an article in its TRACK
TOPICS pointing out the simplicity of wiring these turnouts. The
introduction of DCC has not changed that, and the best wiring is
exactly the same.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento