Re: How to wire a Shinohara DCC Friendly Double Slip into a layout.

Bill Wilken

Richard,

Does this material from the WiringforDCC website help?

Bill

*SUGGESTION #2-10: Use of Double-Slip Turnouts.*

It is a darn complicated thing! At least on one manufacturer, several
of the little rail pieces are not powered. Read below how to fix that.
If you do not, it is no wonder engines frequently stop on them.
Typically, a double-slip is used where very tight switching is
required. This means small engines and going slow - no chance to coast
through. If you are using an 0-4-0T, you are definitely going to have
problems.

Most modelers and clubs will not allow the use of double-slip turnouts;
probably mostly because of the problems just mentioned. I cannot attest
to whether there are mechanical issues as well since I have heeded the
warnings of others and will not use them myself.

Assuming you need to use them, Bob Clegg, BobcatCS@...
<mailto:BobcatCS@...> has been nice enough to solve the problem
of powering them and provide a picture to guide you on doing the same to
a Shinohara double-slip. He came up with a pretty simple solution that
will power most of the rails.

As you can see, his approach is pretty simple. He writes, "Note that the
frog rails of these turnouts are insulated from each other so no
insulated rail joiner is needed. If shorts on the frog rail occur, they
can be cut and epoxied just beyond the frog. This will limit the dead
area to about and an inch and a half [37mm] and will not be a problem
for any but the shortest wheel based locomotives." {Murphy says: OR the
locomotive YOU are trying to run!} Seriously, Bob mentions that you do
make sure you have a locomotive that has good power pickup on at least
two axles on each side that are more than the 1.5 inches apart.

He mentions that his polarity is the same on all tracks. That means do
not try to run a reverse loop /through/ the double-slip. */Be
creative!/* You can still use this on a reverse loop if you need to. For
example, the balloon track itself can be the reverse loop keeping the
polarity on this turnout the same on all four tracks. There are probably
lots of ways to have this turnout on a reverse section. Just make sure
that your shortest reverse section is at least as long as your longest
train. Just in case you /really/ want run a reverse section /through/
the turnout, that may not be a great idea. I've seen one way this can be
done. It is /very/ complex!

A few notes:
1. This is not DCC friendly. Some turnouts this is hard to do to. This
is one of them. I suggest you put a light bulb or an electronic circuit
breaker in series with this turnout if you need to use it.
2. It would also be difficult to run wiring to the points. This may
eventually be a point of failure. If you are very good at soldering, you
might be able to wire power to the points. Otherwise, avoid short wheel
bases.

**

*Wiring Double Crossovers *

For general information on wiring double crossovers, see the description
on how to wire a Walthers/Shinohara double crossover
<http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_walthers_old.htm#a2> in the old
Walthers Turnout wiring section.

/Walthers' Non-DCC Friendly Double Crossover /

* *

*Preventing Wrong-Way Entry Into a Turnout - and - Using Asymmetrical DCC*

//

On 3/27/10 10:07 PM, Richard Cook wrote:

Bill,
Thanks for your response. Alas, the information was of little
assistance to me. Firstly, the link that you provided goes nowhere.
I've looked into the 'Wiring for DCC' website previously but it
mainly concentrates on making the old Double slip DCC friendly.
Secodly, I do not possess your expertise or experience to move my
problem forward.
I can work out the tortoise pin connections but I am at a loss as
to where to connect the wires to the double slip.
Also, you didn't mention anything about insulating one or more of
the rails. Am I correct in assuming that all tracks are powered?

In a later posting from Alan from 'Wiring for DCC', he mentioned
that he intends to add the wiring details together with the tortoise
machines to his website ( I can't wait for the detailed wiring details ).

Thanks again, Cyril.