Re: Terminating bus ends

Michael Beckemeier

The Newark part number is for a metal film resistor, Not wire wound.
I just like to see things run cool to the touch as much as possible.
For 54 cents a resistor, it's money well spent.

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Mark Gurries <gurriesm@c...>
wrote:

Do not use wirewound resistors. They will actually make things
worse!

Hot is a relative term. Power resistors normally are hot to the
touch.
There is nothing wrong with using larger resistors if your goal is
reduce any discomfort you have in working with them or coming into
contact with them. But it not required. There is not enough
power to cause any fire hazard or burn.

You can always use a series string of resistors to spread out the
heat.
Example: you could use 3 1/2W 39Ohm resistors in series. That will
give
you a long 117 ohm 1.5W resistor. The resistance accuracy is not
the
critical.

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "beckemeier53221"
<MBeckemeier@w...> wrote:
Thanks for the info Mike. I had already decided to use a 2 watt,
now I'll probably go with the 3 as you used.

Thanks for the info. Ken

I can attest to the resistors getting toasty. I had to install
over 90
of them on our club layout. Even the 1 watt resistor got quite
hot.

I eventually went with a 3 watt 130 ohm resistor and a 0.1uf 50 V
Capacitor. It really cleaned up the signal nice, and is not as
hot
the touch.

Capacitor:
Newark Part Number: 08B5602 Manufacturer Part Number:
C317C104M5U5CA.
Resistor:
Newark Part Number: 94C3740 Manufacturer Part Number :
5093NW130R0J

Mike Beckemeier