From: WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of rg
Sent: May 19, 2009 11:50 AM
To: WiringForDCC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Tortoise switch machine noise

Just a WAG. Many power packs do not have pure DC. The DC many have do not
use filter capacitors so the DC is really pulsing at a line frequency. It
would be 60 hz for half wave rectifiers or 120 hz for full wave rectifiers.
I installed a 4700 ufd capacitor across the terminals of a power pack to
better filter the DC. My way.
BUT, I had to make sure the power pack reverse switch could not be moved. I
actually wired around the switch so I would not blow up the capacitor by
reverse voltage.
Again, my way. Your mileage may vary. I also reduced the power pack voltage
to 9 volts.

Rich

http://www.scroogle.org/