Re: DIGITRAX TRANSPONDING/DETECTION

bobgrosh

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "wirefordcc"
<wire4dcc_admin@c...> wrote:

I think the biggest problem with transponding is the cost. I'm not
saying Digitrax is overcharging (I'm sure others will :-), it's
just
that the shear number of transponders, detectors, and BDL16's you
need
adds up to a pile of money and time to install. It's not for
everyone.

One reason I switched from detection to Transponding was the cost.

Transponding if far more powerful than detection. That translates
into doing much more with far fewer components.
First of all, The TD4 Transponding function decoder is one of the
cheapest four function decoders out there. Put one in a caboose for
the lights, and Transponding didn't cost you a thing. I use Digitrax
decoders in my locos, so Transponding didn't cost anything there
either. When a train crosses a boundary between two Transponding
sections, software can track the location, speed and length of the
entire train. Ther is no absolute need to put a transponder in every
car.

Second. There is no real need to use the 16 detection sections on a
BDL 168. Divide the mainline into just three Transponding zones and
software can track the locations of a hundred locos and cabooses. You
can virtually set up 360 degrees ( virtual detection blocks ) on your
mainline with only three insulators and feeders. Software can activat
one or hundreds of signals based on the ocupancy of these virtual
blocks.

When I changed over my Garden railroad from block detection to
Transponding I removed literally 125 pounds of copper wire from the
garden along with 30 insulators, 60 resistors, 11 BD1's, and one of
the four BDL16 cards. Had I gone to Transponding first, instead of
trying to make detection work outdoors, I would have saved hours of
frustration and hundreds of dollars.

B0B