From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]On
Behalf Of Marcus Ammann
Sent: July 12, 2005 04:45
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] DCC HO DC Question

Hi Blair

You can power your DCC systems with DC.
NCE - 18 to 28 volts DC
Lenz - 15 to 18 Volts DC
Digitrax - 12 to 28 volts DC

DCC power at the track is produced from DC that is made from rectifying
the normal AC voltage from your transformer by a bridge rectifier in the
booster. Supplying the bridge rectifier with DC instead of AC will still
provide DC to the booster circuits. It just uses 2 diodes to pass the
DC, instead of the 4 that are used for rectifying the AC.

The bridge rectifier and the electronics that produce the DCC voltage
will require some "extra" volts. For example if you supply the DCC
system 12 volts from a car battery you will only at maximum get say 10
volts. All decoder will work on 10 volts DCC but top speed will
certainly be affected. Sound decoders will start dropping out at 9
volts.

So for a DCC system to provide the recommended HO voltage of 14.25
volts, it will require at least 16 to 18 volts DC.

So if you go off the "grid" and have to supply your system with DC then
I would check your system requirements. From the above if you were
operating either the NCE or Digitrax, you could supply them with two 12
volt batteries connected in series to give you 24 volts. You will have
to separate the batteries to charge them with a 14 volt car alternator.

Hope this helps

Marcus