Re: Droppers to bus

John DeSantis

Thank you for your responce Morgan. I now have a clear understanding of what to do. It seems there is more than one way to skin this cat.
John D

On 03/19/2022 12:32 PM PennsyNut <fan4pennsy@...> wrote:

I know I'm going to stir this up, but: When I started to try to understand how to wire my layout, I was totally confused about wire size. I did have an abundance of the cable that has 8 wires inside the insulation. When I stripped that insulation off, there were 8 wires with all different colored insulation on each wire. I used my strippers to determine that these wires were 20 AWG. I then asked online about the bus. Of course, everyone said 14 or 12. In previous use, I found them to be difficult to use. Too stiff? So, I then had someone explain to me about how to calculate wire size based upon expected usage. And we discovered that I could use 20 AWG for all. So, I did that. One wire for each feeder location and each rail. So, what this means is that I wired the two wires/18 AWG from the command station to a screw terminal block. And a single wire from that block to each rail. The maximum wire is 10'. And there are 16 of them. In 2 yrs now, I have had no trouble whatsoever. So, a bus don't have to be one wire - in my case, it's 16 wires. All 20 AWG. And my layout passes the quarter test. The electrical conductivity is constant, 15 v at each end and at the command station. (Well, actually 14.9, 15 & 15.1. But you get the point.)  So all I can say is for you to do the calculation based upon expected usage. (Finally, there's never been any heat build up. Never any shorts - other than what I created by accident. And I use a simple auto bulb/12v for the short indicator. That has worked great. Whenever I do cause a short, that bulb lights up and I can immediately fix it.)
Morgan Bilbo, DCC since 8/18. Model PRR 1952.