Block Detection for signalling and automation

Blair

Hi Folks

When blocking a section of track for signalling and automation, is it necessary to isolate and detect each turnout, or can the turnout be part of the approach block?  I can see how it might be 'better' to detect the turnout, but does it actually matter when it comes down to it?  I'm thinking the answer is 'isolate them for signalling, but don't bother for automation', but I'd like confirmation.  If I don't need separate detection in staging, it saves me a significant number of detection circuits.

Thanks

Blair Smith