Re: Staging yard wiring question

Blair

Scott

For me, a bus(or sub-bus) connects many feeder wires as one electrical component; feeder wires run from the bus to individual rail segments.  Feeders always have one end attached to a rail.  In this implementation, a main bus feeds the sub-busses, one for each track in the yard; each one is relay-switched, and current-detected for occupancy.  The other rail in each track segment is returned to the main bus uninterrupted.

If my sub-bus is your feeder, what do you call the wire running from the feeder to the rail?  I've heard the term 'dropper' used, but always thought that was just another term for 'feeder'.

Blair

On 6/21/2021 6:00 PM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Sorry.

  You said bus wire when I think you mean feeder wire, thus the confusion.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 06/21/2021 3:22 PM Blair <smithbr@...> wrote:

Why is it that no one reads the original post any more?  As I said, there is a relay, and a block detector, for one rail of each track.  My question was focused on the best wiring of the second, common, rail.

Blair

On 6/21/2021 4:57 PM, george hohon3 wrote:
I did this exact thing for the exactly the same reason.  In doing so, it prevents the command station from seeing a surge in voltage and therefore, a total power shut down.

To make the routing of power to a specific track as simple as possible, I use two, 12-position rotary switches, skipping every other contact so I am never more than one click away from shutting off the power to that track (each rotary switch controls the power to 6 individual tracks).  I also placed a power reading LED neatly between the ties to confirm a "visual" when power was on.  But this feature is no longer needed because all 12 tracks hold "favorite" trains with lighted interiors, along with their startup of sound.  You immediately know what track you've selected . . . .

George
in SLO