Re: Athearn Genesis GP40-2

Craig Zeni

This, to be clear, is crap.  What a lousy policy.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:50 AM Sam Robinson <samuelrobinson388@...> wrote:
Here is their reply to my email.......I've included the attachment they sent aswell.

If the product has aftermarket decoder installed the warranty becomes void. The Horizon Hobby/Athearn warranty is no longer valid when any modification (refer to attachment) to the product outside of factory assembly is administered. This includes the installation of a decoder whether it is in the form of a board or plug.  It is encouraged customers test out locomotive lighting outputs before installing aftermarket decoders to determine if any faults are in the product.

Sincerely,

Horizon Hobby

On Wed, May 12, 2021, 9:41 AM Nat Hill IV <nathilliv@...> wrote:
I'm with you Paul.
That's really poor on their part.

On May 11, 2021 22:36, Sam Robinson <samuelrobinson388@...> wrote:
Good evening Paul,

The issue is with the board and not the sound decoder I got from Soundtraxx. Athearn installed the incorrect resistors leading to very dim lights all around on my brand new locomotive. I purchased a non sound/non dcc engine because that's all that was left. The engine came with a 21p adapter on the Genesis board. They are saying because I removed the dummy plug and put on my tsunami2 I voided the warranty. In my initial email to them I should have mentioned the lights were dim from the get go. For them to know of the issue where they install 20,000ohm resistors instead of the 2,000ohm resistors and not atleast send me a board or offer to fix it blows me away. Athearn definitely lost my business today.

On Tue, May 11, 2021, 10:26 PM Paul O <pomilian@...> wrote:
Sam, that just doesn’t sound correct.
How is one to know if a decoder is defective or not until it’s installed!
Unless the decoder is out of warranty because of time, it should be honored, especially if it was manufactured incorrectly.
It may be worth another phone call to explain the situation.

Paul O