This actually makes sense.  The length of static rail needs to be long enough to give the AR response time.  Simple enough at reasonable velocities.

Correction noted.

Blair

On 2021-02-26 13:11, whmvd wrote:
Hi Allan,

The length of one powered truck... I don't see how that could work. Take a loco with one motor, two trucks, both with power pick-up. The trucks would be electrically connected, turning them both into one electrical unit that would then bridge both gaps.

However.

This got me thinking further (always dangerous, I know). And I'm getting to the point of view that even 1 cm should suffice. Because the two gaps will not be straddled *simultaneously* - or if they are, that's only after the first one has done its switching, so it's harmless. Meaning there will be no fight between the AR-units, as one will switch first.

Wouter

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 17:47, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
Hi Art,

I had never thought about how long the fixed polarity section needs to be until this week.  I proposed that the length of the longest locomotive or lighted car should be enough.  If you were really strapped for track distance, the  length of a powered truck should also be fine.  I just propose as long as your longest locomotive so that you don't have to worry about which wheels are power pick up wheels.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC
DCC Currents