Re: Where to isolate on large loops and wye

Blair

This actually makes sense.  The length of static rail needs to be long enough to give the AR response time.  Simple enough at reasonable velocities.

Correction noted.

Blair

On 2021-02-26 13:11, whmvd wrote:
Hi Allan,

The length of one powered truck... I don't see how that could work. Take a loco with one motor, two trucks, both with power pick-up. The trucks would be electrically connected, turning them both into one electrical unit that would then bridge both gaps.

However.

This got me thinking further (always dangerous, I know). And I'm getting to the point of view that even 1 cm should suffice. Because the two gaps will not be straddled *simultaneously* - or if they are, that's only after the first one has done its switching, so it's harmless. Meaning there will be no fight between the AR-units, as one will switch first.

Wouter

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 17:47, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:
Hi Art,

I had never thought about how long the fixed polarity section needs to be until this week.  I proposed that the length of the longest locomotive or lighted car should be enough.  If you were really strapped for track distance, the  length of a powered truck should also be fine.  I just propose as long as your longest locomotive so that you don't have to worry about which wheels are power pick up wheels. 

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC
DCC Currents

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.