Re: Where to isolate on large loops and wye

whmvd

Hi Art,

It looks like you go for stricter than necessary. We seem to have converged on the opinion that the fixed polarity stretch between two different auto-reversing sections need not be longer than the longest individual item of rolling stock (with pick-ups) that you own.

As to your last remark ("Short freight trains I've run as tests have the same problem of stalling out as they enter the fixed polarity, so I'm still confused") that, I fear, will have to do with incorrect wiring, or another train at the other end of one of the reversing sections bridging that gap simultaneously.

Wouter

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 at 16:07, Art Maines <a_maines@...> wrote:
I've been reading all of your comments and trying to digest them and apply them to my situation, so thank you all.
The problem I'm still having, I believe, is that I have 2 reversing loops both separated by and created by 2 crossovers in a fixed polarity section. I've been running test trains across the layout to see if I can figure this out (electricity and wiring is not my first language, LOL). I've been running Kato N scale Metra locos and 3 bilevel coach/cab car combinations. The cab car isn't technically a lighted car, but it does pick up electricity for the running lights/headlights since it runs in push-pull operations. I also have the new Kato NYC 20th Century Limited train I've been trying to run, this time with an observation car that is lighted with marker lights. It seems to me that I have to make the center, fixed polarity section long enough to have the longest train I run all in the fixed section and one other AR section. Is that correct? Short freight trains I've run as tests have the same problem of stalling out as they enter the fixed polarity, so I'm still confused. Any clarification would be great!