Re: Wiring Up a Manual Turntable?

wirefordcc

Hi Brian,

See my website for turntable wiring at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a44

There are couple of ways to get power to a turntable bridge.  If you don't split the rim rail, you can apply power with one wire to the rim rail and another to the center post.

You can also apply power to the arch over the bridge.  But that is a little delicate and so a bit more challenging to do.

I had two Diamond Scale turntables.  One, I used the rim rail and the center post.  The other, I used the rim rail and the overhead arch.  On both of them I used automatic reverse section controllers (ARSC) to provide the track power to the bridge with the proper polarity.

If you don't split the rim rail, you will need a way to reverse the polarity to the bridge if you will fully rotate it.  An ARSC, as made by DCC Specialties, NCE, or Digitrax, will do the trick.  If you want to do it on the cheap, you can use a Double Pole Double Throw toggle switch.

You can also split the rim rail.  If you do this, you won't need the ARSC, but you will have a dead zone where the split occurs.  This seems like a good idea, but the rim rail is somewhat springy and so it is challenging to get it to go precisely where you want it.  Since you will be rotating by hand, you can tolerate a little difficulty in smooth rotation at the split.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC