Smail question

Bill Wilken

My railroad is divided into four power districts.  Track voltage is identical in all four districts.  Regardless of power district all locos respond properly to commands in each power district.  If I connect a Circuitron Smail to the track, then test #1 and #8 pins for voltage, the voltage at the pins is identical in all four power districts.  The Smail, moreover, responds properly to DCC commands in three power districts, but it will not respond in the fourth.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on?