Re: Power Bus on new layout

Jim Zarnick

A couple of things for you to think about.

You don’t have to insulate the different track sections, blocks from one another, presuming there are no reverse loops, but the advantage of insulating the various blocks is that if you wanted to break the layout into different power districts  or add block detection because you decided to add signaling in the future you can easily do say without messing with the track at all.  On 2 occasions I added another circuit breaker to isolate an industrial area so a derailment doesn’t stop the whole layout from running.

I chose to run a 14 gauge main bus, then from distro panels at various points to NCE EB1 circuit breakers run 18 gauge wires for each block then 22-24 gauge track feeders connect to the 18 gauge via suitcase connectors and soldered to the track.    Every piece of track is soldered to feeders or small pieces of track are soldered at the joiner to the next piece of track, but every piece of track is soldered to something.

No regrets on the time investment because I’m not chasing electrical issues and go focus on other aspect of this wonderful hobby.

Have fun!

From: w4dccqa@groups.io [mailto:w4dccqa@groups.io] On Behalf Of alynmar@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 8:08 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] Power Bus on new layout

I'm at the point in a new layout build where I need to run my power bus.  The layout is  a 8' x 20' rectangle with a 3' x 14 extension  running at 90 degrees from the main baseboard.  I will be the only operator of this layout.  In Allan's Wiring the Track, part two, he shows an option for running the power bus in a "star" configuration.
If I choose this approach do I need insulated track joiners between each section of the "star"?  Would you then use a terminal strip to bring the bus sections together to feed into my NCE Power Pro system?

Alan

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.