Re: Walthers Motorized 130ft Turntable - DCC Wiring

Steve Hubbard

As I recall the turntable has 4 brass wipers that run on the PC board. 2 for the bridge motor/electronics  and 2 for the

Track.  I do not have one anymore to confirm if the foils could be redone to make them the same polarity all the way around .

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 11:30 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Walthers Motorized 130ft Turntable - DCC Wiring

The Walthers turntable has a split ring at it’s center.  It doesn’t have a center post and a rim rail that you can power it from.  Unless I see something different when I get my new one, this is what I expect will be the case.  Locos with keep alive / current keepers are likely to be your best choice.

Walthers has a “Advanced Control Module” that you can control your turntable with DCC.  I have one of those coming, too.  I plan to write a column on it for Model Railroader this year.

Allan Gartner

Wiring for DCC

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Klemm via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 11:08 AM

The turntable only loses power at the zero spot for a brief bit. It serves a purpose. If your locos have keep alives they will not lose sound for the brief moment. 

David Klemm

12 PRO

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> on behalf of Steve Hubbard via groups.io <cyclefab@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 9:47:40 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io>

Turntable PC board could possibly be reconfigured and a reverser be used to change polarity.  I did a similar thing on my Bowser Turntable.  Made the center post one conductor with a brass wiper drum and the split rail the other conductor. I also used an NCE decoder (no indexing) to control the motor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 9:10 AM
Subject: [w4dccqa] Walthers Motorized 130ft Turntable - DCC Wiring

Hi

Has anybody used this turntable with DCC?  If yes, have you looked at modifying the turntable so that turntable bridge does not lose power and therefore turns off your sound equipped locos?  I expect that this should be possible and that you would need to use an auto-reverser to ensure that you don’t have short circuits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter Doyle

e: doylep@...

Australia

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.