Re: Wiring a PECO insulfrog

PennsyNut

I am going to be honest. I don't have the turnouts you do. But. I do have Insulfrogs. I am a lazy person. I like K.I.S.S. so I don't wire or solder anything to my turnouts. If I did want a motor, then I would have to. But I hand throw. SO: To make sure I get good contact between the points and the stock rail - where they make contact. I keep them clean. I also dab a bit of graphite where they make contact. Just as I dab graphite along the inside edge of all rail. It improves electrical contact. Now there are a lot of people who disagree with me. But it works for me. I do have a small layout and that make a difference. But even if I were to have a larger layout, and still didn't want to solder or wire a turnout, I'd still want the points to rail CLEAN. To me, it isn't that hard. I did the graphite treatment once last Nov. when I first started this layout. After 6 months, I took some time and re-cleaned the track, dabbed the graphite and haven't touched the track since. i.e. It's now 6 months and I don't think I need to do anything. I do run cars and engines on the track as often as I can. That also helps keep the electrical conductivity good. Read elsewhere about using graphite. It must be spread very thin. Too much is worse than none. But I assure you this works for me. So, give this a try and see what happens. If it don't work to your satisfaction. Go do something else - don't blame me. LOL Obviously, things like temp and humidity may affect your rails. FYI my turnouts do not have any tabs and rely totally on physical contact.
Morgan Bilbo, slightly over one year with very basic DCC