Re: Wireless soldering irons

John Bishop

HAKKO fx-901 is excellent for light soldering. Uses 4 AA batteries. Gets good and hot and lasts surprisingly long before batteries have to be swapped out. Costs about $30.  I have been using it for almost a year with no problems. Was recommended by my son who uses it at work.

One suggestion. Don't be stubborn about changing batteries when it starts to fade.

I have not tried to solder wire feeders to  my track (O scale, code .100) with it.

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 08:55:01 AM PST, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

I had a battery powered soldering iron a long time ago.  It used NiCd batteries.  It worked well for light electronics jobs and lasted about 20 minutes.  I'm sure a modern one would last longer, but I still doubt it would be good for soldering feeders to track.  It would probably be very good for decoder installation jobs.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC