Re: Signal Blocks

Perry A Pollino

All of my Circuit breakers are centrally located. a buss line runs from each circuit breaker/AR.
I have a main line, and a secondary line on the same circuit breaker. I would want to put 2 blocks for detection within this power district. Can I do that? Or do I have to re do the power district to match the signal block.
I had originally planned to use IR or photo detection but discovered I can only set timers for occupancy.
Thanks you for you advice in advance.

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 08:09:54 AM CDT, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

Hi Perry,

I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing.

For each section of track that you want to block detect, you would run that bus wire through a block detector like the NCE BD20.  That same section of track would need insulated joiners or gaps in the rail that has the block detector.  Since the layout already exists, you would cut gaps.

You can still use your circuit breakers.  The circuit breaker would come before your block detector.  Your circuit breaker can provide power for multiple blocks that are being detected.

You cannot put your circuit breakers after the BD20's.  The little amount of power drawn by the circuit breaker would make it look like the block is occupied.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC