From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Wilken
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 1:43 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Atlas signal - Tortoise Interlocking

Alan,

Thanks for your help on this.  I have only one follow-up question.  You indicate the "blue" wire should run from Tortoise terminal 4 to common.  But common on what?  A rail?  Common on the Atlas signal control board?  Or common on the BD-20?

Bill

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 11:29 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:

Hi Bill,

I reviewed the Atlas schematic you supplied and also went the Atlas website to learn a little bit about the Atlas Signal Control Board (SCB).  I found that it does not control the Atlas switch machine or Tortoise as you desire.  Rather, the Atlas switch machine or a Tortoise provides input to it.

The blue wire you see on the Atlas schematic that goes to the common on the Atlas switch machine would be attached to terminal 4 on a Tortoise.  The two green wires shown going to the Atlas switch machine go to terminals 2 and 3 on the Tortoise.  If you get the wrong aspect displayed, swap the wires going to 2 and 3.

You can control the Tortoise with DCC via an accessory decoder like made by NCE or Digitrax or through any traditional means of controlling a Tortoise switch machine. For more on controlling Tortoise switch machines, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC