Re: Non-terminal snubbers

mgj21932

Allen,

Sorry for confusion.  Was using "N/S" simply to indicate the "main" bus running down the middle of the layout parallel to the longest side (acting as a "spine"), and "E/W" to describe power bus "spurs" coming off the spine.  At this point I am not planning on occupancy detectors.

Actually the 14 AWG main bus will be split at a centrally located Tam Valley Hex Juicer (being used as a AR switch), with the main bus powering the mainline (no AR) and two sub-buses running downstream from the Hex Juicer to provide track power to two AR segments.  TV circuit breaker is located upstream from Hex Juicer close to power supply.

Outputs from Hex Juicer are short 22 AWG stub wires connected to 14 AWG power sub-buses.  I was planning to twist wires on all the power buses and use 22 AWG for track feeders.  Did not plan on using snubbers (or at this point occupancy detectors).

With no wires longer than 12 feet or so, I didn't think I needed snubbers.  Is that a valid assumption?

Plus I planned to twist the sub-bus wires downstream from the Hex Juicer.  Any reason not to do so?

Based on your previous reply, would the reason for not twisting those wires be to make later installation of occupancy detectors easier?

Bill D

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 02:39:29 PM EDT, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

Bill,

I figure you are trying to tell me something by your use of E/W and N/S busses.  I think if sub buses running in the same direction as your main bus, but being attached to one another with the intention of breaking up the main bus into sections to create blocks for block detection or electronic circuit breaker districts.

You don't want to twist your sub buses after block detectors because the twisting could cause false occupation indications.  You don't want to put snubbers after block detectors for the same reason.  Note:  Someone contributed to my website that twisting could come after a block detector if a capacitor is used.  I haven't tried that myself yet to see if it always works or not.  Let me know if you try it and it works for you.

Just in case anyone is wondering about Frog Juicers, don't put them after block detectors, either.  See the section on block detection in my website for more information.  BTW, I like Frog Juicers.  I have many of them.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/blockdet.htm

FYI to all:  I have moved and am building a new railroad in which I will be installing block detection and at some point, signaling.  I'm going as fast as I can, but I have a long way to go.  Also, with the stock market crashing, I'm not spending money as freely on the railroad as I had been doing before.  Block detection may only be installed on a limited section of the railroad as a test section.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC