Re: Electrical Code for Train Layouts

Jerry Michels

Thomas, better words have not been spoken! "Standards seem like a pain, but you are trading short term irritation for long term pain."   At the Museum, we follow this not only for wiring but also for things such as rolling stock, sub-roadbed, track, curve radii, and even mixes for scenery groundcover. For example we always find that the members whose trains are a problem at open houses and such are those who sneak in cars with plastic wheels, low or high couplers, unweighted cars, and locomotives with dirty wheels.  I have actually seen a boxcar with so much crud on the plastic wheels that it was even with the flange!

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum