Re: Electrical Code for Train Layouts

Carl

Hello John:

I used to set up some O-27 modules, but they never had any permanent 120v wiring, just a standard extension cord to the ZW transformer. I'm in South Carolina so I was never inspected by officials, Union or Public.

I've developed connectors for low voltage connections using PVC "wood" trim boards. It has been suggested that they don't meet "Code" for model layouts. From inspecting many under sides of model layout I wondered what Code might be??

So here is a link to the PVC terminals:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Insulation-Displacement-Screw-Terminals/

I was lucky and was able to use industrial DIN connectors rated for 600 volts, or telephone punch down blocks. So when a friend asked me to help wire his layout we tried the PVC blocks. We learned a few things, but they did work well and were easy make corrections. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Carl.

On 3/11/2020 4:20 PM, John M Wallis wrote:

Hi Carl:

While the document mentioned below is intended for modular layouts set up in public venues, it does provide most of the rules laid out by the Fire Codes. Go to ntrak.org, then click on “Publications” then “AppNotes”, and scroll down to a document called “Recommended Practices for 120VAC Layout Wiring.

Regards,

John Wallis