Re: Dual Mode? DCC/DC

RONALD ST.LAURENT

Greg,

We avoided the DC/DCC thing at our club by purchasing a decoder for each member to install in an engine of their choice.  This was about in the year 2000.  Our club has been around since 1953.

The argument "I have 50 engines for DC" doesn't really hold water when you ask them "How many of them do you regularly run?"

Being a pure DCC club makes things infinitely easier.

Ron

Lansing Model Railroad Club www.lmrc.org

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:25 AM Greg Harter <greg1462@...> wrote:
Just for info:  Our club, in Columbus, Indiana, is over 25 years old, and has been running both DC and DCC on the same layout for over 20 years.  We use DCC detector boards, which we designed and built, that preclude a loco going from a DC track to a DCC track, or vice versa.  We have four mainlines, several crossovers and a couple of reversing loops, If the current on two specific mainlines isn't the same (DC or DCC), the crossovers will not operate, and/or the isolated track section between those two mainlines will not receive any current of either type.  We have never had an incident where this did not work, and have not had an incident involved any damage to a loco.

We planned this originally because we had several members who wanted to run DC and several who wanted to run DCC.

We did a clinic at the 2016 NMRA in Indianapolis on how this operates.

Dual mode decoders are okay, but very limited.

Greg Harter
Columbus Area Railroad Club