Re: Converting to DCC

Al Silverstein

Paul,

Hardware recommendations are often a matter of personal taste. All DCC systems do one thing and that is control the direction, speed, lighting and sound functions where features of the engines and the DCC system overlap. There are as many recommendations on what to include when even considering the conversion from DC to DCC. Only you can determine what to purchase for the satisfaction of your needs to handle the DCC operations of your model railroading empire. I generally do not provide hardware recommendations on hardware until I have a basic understanding of the individual requesting information. The long term goals of an individual have a lot to do with recommendations.

“More” is not always better. “More” is only better if your long term plans include the “more”.

But there is one recommendation that I do profess to any one that is converting from DC to DCC and that is to purchase a good general purpose book dealing with the general application of DCC. The book should present general DCC information in an easy to understand format and yet at the same time avoid any bias towards or against specific manufacturers.

So with the above said I do recommend the book “Practical Guide to Digital Command Control” by Larry Puckett and published by Carstens’ Publishing.

After reading a book like I just mention you should be making a dream list of everything DCC related that you would like to eventually include in your model railroad empire and make your choices of hardware that will allow you to reach your goal.

There are a number of good resources on Groups.io that can help you solve the problems you will incur along the way. This list handles the wiring of side of the DCC for your layout.

Al Silverstein

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:02 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] Converting to DCC

Hi,
I'm new to using this forum.
I have a DC layout that I want to convert to DCC so I'd like some help from the experts so I can do it right the first time.

I added a pic to the photo section under "Pete's layout".
My room is 8'x13',  with a swing gate to enter the room.
All rails are connected to a common 12g bus.
There are two isolated sections fo changing polarity.

What do I need to change to convert to DCC?

I'm considering using the NCE wireless system.
I want to be able to have 4 trains running at the same time.
I want to be able to have more train addressed and ready to swap in from the parking yard below my layout connected via a long perimeter ramp.
Hmm, What else do you need to know?

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.