Re: Walthers lighted passenger cars

Carl

Hello:

May I suggest a pair of diodes, one to each truck so the power can't flow from one block to the other.

I had a similar problem with my K-Line passenger car. I was using a ZW to power two blocks and had parked the passenger car across the gap. The ZW has no over current protection between the power taps. The high voltage burned all the insulation off the roller wires.

Carl.

On 11/8/2019 9:55 AM, Jerry Michels wrote:
Hi Folks,

Our layout has been operating quite well recently, with the phase problems solved and not repeating for a couple of months.  However, we recently started testing a few passenger trains, and we are running into a curious problem with lighted Walthers passenger cars.

Although a string of up to four locomotives pass from one block to another with ease as they straddle two independent blocks, even those junctures crossing blocks powered by different boosters, the Walthers lighted passenger cars short out the blocks.  When we insulate one set of trucks (putting tape across the contacts), the problem goes away, but then we get flickering lights across the blocks.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Causes?  Solutions?

Thanks.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum