Re: DCC Bus distribution and snubbers question

Blair & Rasa

Thanks, Michael.  I have seen exactly one instance in my past electronics/physics life where OFHC demonstrably made a difference to something, and that was in a 600 keV proton linac fed with a 500 kW 267 MHz RF source.    Not quite what I am building in my basement.  I agree, there's lots of "alternative fact" on the internet.

Blair

On 2019-09-21 17:07, Michael Rozeboom wrote:
On 2019-09-21 4:34 p.m., Blair & Rasa wrote:
Well, so far, no answer from Ross.
From others, an unknown scale 10 miles in length reports no problems, and an N scaler tells me to reduce my gauge and use OFHC copper, and I won't have problems.

Four engine consists in HO meeting four engine consists in HO means I won't be reducing my primary bus gauge.

As for OFHC, point me at some objective measurements and reasoned arguments, please, because I'm not believing yet.

I'll answer that: It makes no difference.  All copper wire is "oxygen free", because if there is too much oxygen, you can't draw it into wire as it is too brittle.

I regularly make measurements with an uncertainty of 20ppm.  Using regular wire, be it welding cable or 12AWG, even with off the shelf coax and instrument wire in the mix.  If using an exotic wire would make any difference, that would have been discovered long ago.

When making current measurements, I can magically make my secondary leads have zero impedance.  But the wire itself isn't magical.

The oxygen free idea is really designed to lighten the wallets of silly audiophools, who believe that it will improve their experience.  They also believe that 4AWG welding cable is better and will improve their audio.

--

Michael Rozeboom

Electrical Metrology