DCC Wiring Problem on a Small N Scale Layout

thoms.chesley@...

Good Afternoon

I am relatively new to DCC and I have a few questions about wiring my layout. Here are the details of what I have done:

1. 3'x10' n scale unitrack layout (double tracked with several spurs) with number 6 turnouts (17 of them).
2. Turnouts are isolated with Kato plastic joiners at the diverging tracks of the turnout and then powered by Kato feeders (24 gauge wire).
3. My Kato feeder wires are going to be stripped of insulation, folded back to create a thicker wire, tinted with solder and then soldered to spade connectors.
4. All feeders are connected to 2 separate terminal barrier strips.
5. The bus wires (16 gauge stranded wire; 2 foot long sections) run from the barrier strips (one for each track) and connect to an NCE Power Cab DCC system.

I am trying to divide and conquer in a logical manner as I have already run into the issue of not being able to get a DCC locomotive running with even one feeder connection despite knowing that the feeders (I tested a couple of them randomly) will power a given section of track using DC. What am I missing here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

T.-C.