Re: Current through the soldering iron tip

Max Maginness

I did a census of soldering irons on hand

Type

Tip voltage relative to ground

WLC 100

26 volts

Weller WES D51  ESD

<0.1 volts   (3 wire)

Archer (Radio Shack )

3 volts

Ungar (about 40 watts)

6 volts

Weller (35 watts)

40 volts

All were two wire except the WES D51

In no case was the leakage current to ground more than 20 microamps. There is no personal shock hazard but you might not want to touch a hot tip for other reasons anyway.

Max