Re: K.I.S.S.

whmvd

Tom,

Have you tried explaining to someone how to properly put together a long address field and program it? How to assign outputs to functions? Did you enjoy it? Did the recipient? And have you seen what DecoderPro does instead?

I don't see any argument for beginners being well off with just CV numbers and values they often have to cobble together in the most unintelligable way, whether decimal or hexadecimal - both are a pain, only a different sort of pain.

BTW: trying to get a 'last word' in there and then saying you don't want to argue the pros and cons does not work. At all. If you start an argument, you will get to hear the other side.

As to the original post: I think it's a tiny minority of cases where a beginning poster is overloaded with too much and too difficult information. Yes, it happens. Sometimes by somebody explaining at a level that is not appropriate for the audience. Yes, it is a pity when that does happen. On the other hand, it is very often impossible to give factually correct information without getting into the nitty-gritty. Difficult things being, well, difficult. But we can all only try. And I'm sure we all do. Sometimes more successfully than at other times.

Wouter

Wouter

On Mon, 20 May 2019 at 19:45, Tom O'Hara <tomohara5@...> wrote:
I'm afraid that we are getting close to causing grief here, but there is a significant point to be made. Programming can be done easily with the basic DCC system. There is no need for hexadecimal or bits. It can be done with standard base-ten numbers. As I said previously, I have done this on three different systems. (And I do comprehend hex.)

Later, if he wants to add Decoder Pro, it will still be there. I don't want to argue the pros and cons of approaching the programming by different methods. That's starting to sound like the start of a war. But is IS easy to program with a command station and a throttle. I do it all the time, and I do have Decoder Pro available for times when I want to use it.

.....Tom

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM David Klemm <davidklemm7511@...> wrote:
Morgan

How is telling a person something that requires an understanding of hexadecimal and bits simpler?  Obviously he didn’t know what he didn’t know but giving advice on a solution that allows the use of plain English versus bits is a simpler solution.  Sure the person could have done a better job of leading the person with the question to that conclusion by showing what it means to have to program the ‘old’ fashioned way.

David Klemm
Xs Max