Re: Older Shinohara Turnout Confusion

Craig Zeni

On May 10, 2019, at 9:33 AM, Richard Beatty wrote:

Allan's page for wiring older Shinohara turnouts has two methods for making them DCC friendly and how to subsequently wire them.

There is also a short section that says you can try to use them unmodified out of the box and hope you don't have shorts. (I am paraphrasing.) That seems too simple compared to the major modifications in the other methods.

What am I missing here? Is there more to the modifications than just avoiding a short?
The common problem with old Shinohara turnouts is that the open point rail is too close to the backside of the wheel, eg, the point rail gap aka back-to-back doesn't meet the NMRA guage. When the backside of the wheel touches the open point, it's a dead short thru the wheel to the rail it's running on. We ran for years on a layout with a hundred old Shinoharas that had been gone thru over time (as they created issues); eventually they ran without shorting problems and ran reliably. IF ( and that's a giant IF) your wheels and your turnouts are all up to NMRA scratch, you'll have good performance.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC