Re: Athearn "timebomb" headlights and Tsunami Decoder

Craig Zeni

If you want to keep incandescent bulbs, replace them with Miniatronics 1.5v 20 ma bulbs.  I've been replacing them with 0402 LEDs and Details West lenses.

Craig Zeni
Cary, NC
Despatched from my infernal Android

On Fri, May 3, 2019, 02:21 Puckdropper via Groups.Io <puckdropper=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm working on a Genesis F3A with Highliners shell that had a screwed up decoder.  In fixing it, I needed to pull out the Athearn board to put in a new Tsunami decoder.  This leaves me with the question of what to do with the tiny Athearn "timebomb" headlights.  Should I add a resistor to the light lead like one does LEDs?  What size resistor will keep the bulbs from burning out while still letting the lights shine?

Do I need something more sophisticated than a resistor?

I want to change the lights over to LEDs, but I'm not sure I want to do a week of R&D right now since it finally stopped raining and I've got grass to mow.

Puckdropper
P.S. I call them "timebombs" because they're almost certain to fail in the near future.