Athearn "timebomb" headlights and Tsunami Decoder

Puckdropper

I'm working on a Genesis F3A with Highliners shell that had a screwed up decoder. In fixing it, I needed to pull out the Athearn board to put in a new Tsunami decoder. This leaves me with the question of what to do with the tiny Athearn "timebomb" headlights. Should I add a resistor to the light lead like one does LEDs? What size resistor will keep the bulbs from burning out while still letting the lights shine?

Do I need something more sophisticated than a resistor?

I want to change the lights over to LEDs, but I'm not sure I want to do a week of R&D right now since it finally stopped raining and I've got grass to mow.

Puckdropper
P.S. I call them "timebombs" because they're almost certain to fail in the near future.