Re: Rail joiners & PECO

Tom Anderson

I got one of those and it was totally worthless.

Just my .02

Tom Anderson

Business Information Systems, Inc.

P.O. Box 160396

Boiling Springs, SC  29316

(864) 621-8607

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kurt Konrath via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:41 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Rail joiners & PECO

Atlas Model RR co sells a tool specifically for putting on rail joiners.  Cat 150-401.  Many places to get it from. 

Three sided tool for code 100, 83 and I forget the other one. 

Designed to allow you slip joiner on tool point and it opens slightly and gives you a way to push on rail without fingers in the way of sharp items!

Kurt

On May 1, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Bob Macionis <macionis@...> wrote:

I sympathize, and have multiple finger tip scars from those nasty joiners.  Using small pliers designed for this very task will avoid the blood.  But those joiners are too tight!  I have given up using them (except on code 70 track) and now use Atlas universal joiners.  Yes, they’re much bigger, and loose, but they go on easily, and I solder all joints and paint the rails so they look ok.

Bob

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 11:11 AM

Subject: [w4dccqa] Rail joiners & PECO

I have a problem with my track. I have PECO code 83 flex, Insulfrog turnouts and code 83 joiners. The joiners are giving me headaches. Not to forget split nails, cut finger tips, etc. I even try putting a joiner on a spare piece of rail to then put onto the track. But those joiners are way too tight. Filing the rails, top, bottom and top of the base - very lightly, just enough to smooth and remove any burrs. Can't seem to figure out how to spread the end of the joiner a bit, just to get it started. The darn things just don't like me. LOL Positive help requested and appreciated.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC

ExchangeDefender Message Security: Check Authenticity

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.