Re: K.I.S.S.

Mike Hoggard

I tried before to answer your question but think that it was rejected by the Maildeamon. Here goes again. You are using dead frog turnouts as many do and they are useful as a switch cutting of the power to the track that it is not switched to. You do not have to wire the turnout. Some modellers alter the wiring under the turnout to make both legs alive. An easy solution is to fit a small sprung connector made by Hornby part no.. R8232. They come in 20 per pack and don,t cost much. These work with peco insulfrogs as well as hornby turnouts. The other way is to wire the track with power on the exit side of the turnout. The power will feed into the turnout from the other end ,so to speak. Both legs fed with power. On a small oval of track this happens any way and only the siding would be dead. With DCC this switching ability of insulfrog points is not needed as each loco is individually addressed. It isommon practise to fed power to many places on a DCC layout and for some users run a buss all around the layout under the table, connecting to every separate section of track. I hope this helps. mike Hoggard

On Fri, 5/4/19, PennsyNut <pennsynut@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] K.I.S.S.
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Date: Friday, 5 April, 2019, 19:50

What am I saying that is
not clear. My turnouts are NOT wired. The turnout itself
does not need wiring. I have reviewed a lot of drawings and
diagrams - all about wiring a turnout. I choose not to wire
the turnout. So is there a way to power the flex track at
the frog end? Point feed works for me. Just that when the
turnout is thrown one way that the other leg of track after
the frog is powered. Or does it even have to be powered? As
in sidings. You throw the turnout for the main and the
siding is dead. Is this what it's supposed to be? And if
the siding is to be powered, is there a short section of
jumper wire connecting that rail to somewhere else so the
power is there? Is this clear? NO WIRES ON TURNOUT. The
turnout works fine as it is. There is continuity and no loss
of voltage or amperage through the turnout.
From what I see on the bottom of an Insulfrog,
there are jumpers from the point rail past the frog to the
subsequent rail beyond the turnout.
I sure
wish there was a way to do a diagram of what I mean. I
can't seem to get jpg, pdf, odf, etc. I was able to draw
a track plan on AnyRail6. But how do I get it to where I can
add lines, arrows, using color, etc. I converted .any to jpg
and jpg to pdf, but they lose part of the drawing.
Morgan Bilbo, new to DCC