Re: Buss wire

Al Silverstein

There are many solutions to the creation of a rail bus. If the command station or booster is centrally located in the area of coverage then 14 awg wire can easily reach 20’ with very little voltage loss and 12 awg can easily reach 40’ with very little voltage loss.

I am helping a friend convert his, HO scale, DC controlled layout to DCC. So far he has only used 14 awg zip wire and loves how easy it is to work with. His layout only required a command station and one add on booster. His command station feeds a quad circuit breaker device where each of the four legs feeds a rail bus about 20’ long. His booster feeds a quad circuit breaker device where he uses only three of the breakers where each of the three legs are less than 20’ long. He plans on having operating sessions with 4-5 of his friends operating trains.

Now what is my friend using for his rail bus? He is using 14 awg Red/Black Zip wire. Zip wire generally comes in the form of one red wire and one black wire. It can easily be separated into two wires, one red and one black. He is wiring his layout where the Red wire is the rail A feed and the Black wire is the rail B feed. This makes rail phasing easy. He will have two auto phasing sections of track to which he plans on using one of the simple reverse control devices.

On eBay earlier today, before my reply, I looked up the selling price of Zip wire in 100’ lengths. 14 awg Red/Black zip wire can be found for as little as $19.95 with free shipping from US vendors. 12 awg Red/Black zip wire can be found for as little as $38.95 with free shipping from US vendors.

My friend received both of his separate 14 awg orders in under a week from the date of purchase.

Al Silverstein